Sandy was born on 29 Apr 1789 in Virginia, the son of William Flynt and Elizabeth Ballard.
He died on 30 Mar 1867. The place is not known.
He had two marriages/partners. His first wife was Sally Hauser, who he married on 11 MAR 1815 in Stokes County, North Carolina. Their five known children were John Pollard (1829-1859), Lucinda N (1835-?), Martha J. A. (1837-?), Sanford R. (1839-?) and Romulus B (1840-?).
His second wife was Rebecca Leinbach, who he married in AFT 1850 in probably Bethania, Forsyth, North Carolina. They had no known children.
| || |
| || |
|Birth||29 APR 1789||
|Death||30 MAR 1867|
|Census||16 SEP 1850||
|Will||16 MAY 1838||
John Randolph Flynt , Mayor, Kernersville, North Carolina 1951-1953
[NI2539] News & Echoes, Vol 1. No. 4, Page 7, April 1983
As the time of the Annual Flynt Reunion in Kernersville, N.C. draws near, aspects of the everyday life and roles in the community of earlier generations come to mind. The heritage of the Forsyth County Flynts and allied families is replete with forefathers who did not remain in obscurity, but demonstrated their love of country. They did not simply say they loved their country; they did something about it. Among those still fondly remembered is John Randolph Flynt, the 24th mayor of Kernersville. Like many Americans reared in small towns, he believed there was something unique about his town that inspired him to become one of its most enthusiastic leaders and boosters. During his term as mayor, 1951-1953, John was successful in bringing about needed changes. Under his leadership construction of a new dam reservoir was begun and the streets were named and identified, with markers. This action enabled the U.S. Postal Service to render home delivery service for the first time since the town was incorporated in 1871. John was a man with a mission to make his town a better place in which to live and a clear view of how to accomplish it.
Kernersville, surrounded on all sides by nearby metropolitan areas of Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro, is the second largest city in Forsyth County, with a present population total of approximately 7,000 within its corporate limits. The fortitude of the early pioneers and foresight of an Irishman named William Dobson are recognized as the main reasons for the successful growth of Kernersville. The pioneers settled on the waterways and this particular area is the source of Haw River, Abbots Creek, Belews Creek, Deep River, and Salem Creek. Dobson bought the initial nucleus of 400 acres of land, which he expanded into a plantation of more than 1,000 acres. Two of North Carolina's main back country roads crossed through the Dobson land. The roads were Deep River Road and the Hillsborough Road. Hillsborough Road became an intercolonial stage line, which was the route the Moravians of Wachovia followed to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the first permanent Moravian settlement in America. The enterprising Dobson built an inn where the roads crossed, which became a popular stopover for travelers. For many years the hamlet was known as Dobson's Crossroads. Kernersville natives are proud President Washington, while on the southern tour of his visit to all the states of our newly formed union, stopped on June 2, 1791, to have breakfast at Dobson's Tavern. When Joseph Kerner bought the inn in 1817, Dobson's Crossroads gradually became known as Kerner's Crossroads. Fifty-four years later when the population total reached 148 residents, the village was incorporated into the now town of Kernersville.
In late summer of 1781, about the time the inn at Dobson's Crossroads was built, John's great, great, great, grandfather Revolutionary War Patriot Richard Flynt (1720-1791) brought his large family to settle in the nearby community of Bethania known then as Surry County. The patriarch of the Flynt family was not a young man when he migrated from Virginia, but apparently age did not dampen his spirit or interest for politics and civic affairs, which have remained a part of the family tradition to this day. Throughout the various branches of his descendants, many are found to have influential political roles in their respective communities. This trait can be traced to his grandson Allen Flynt (son of William and Elizabeth Ballard Flynt) who was elected one of the first representatives of the newly formed Forsyth County to the North Carolina General Assembly in 1851, along with Mr. Jesse Waugh and Colonel William Henry Marshall. Because of outside influences and disorderliness on court days, the Moravians of Wachovia, a closed communal society, did not want the new county seat located in their already established principal town. They sold 51 acres for a new town to be located just north of Salem. Colonel Marshall introduced a bill giving the name "Winston" to the new county seat of Forsyth, and it was not until 1913 that the inhabitants of both town voted to consolidate into a city called Winston-Salem. From a secondary source account found John's mother's lineage, it is noted Colonel William Henry Marshall was married to Mariah Vance (1814-1900), and she was the great, great, great aunt of John. In 1854, Allen Flynt was elected to serve again as representative from his county to the North Carolina General Assembly in Raleigh.
The North Carolina progenitor Richard Flynt had another offspring who had an important role in the formation of Forsyth County. This was William Flynt, his great grandson, who was elected the first sheriff of Forsyth County in 1848. William was the son of "Sally" Hauser Flynt, the daughter of Revolutionary War soldier Colonel George Hauser, Jr. (Sandy and Sanford, twins, were the first born of William and Elizabeth Ballard Flynt's eleven children). Young William served as sheriff of Forsyth County for several years.
At this point, it would be negligent not to mention that John's great, great grandfather Jesse Kirby (Kerby) was appointed constable in Captain Hughton's district in old Stokes County on February 12, 1790.
Before continuing with the active part another important person in John's heritage had in Salem and the newly formed Forsyth County, a brief lineage chart identifying his specific line of descent follows:
Parents - Thomas Franklin (1877-1958) and Ottie Sapp Flynt (1886-1969)
Grandparents - John Randolph (1840-1897) and Amelia Elizabeth Vest Flynt (1845-
Great Grandparents - Allen (1805-1866) and Nancy Kirby Flynt (1805(8) - ?)
2 - Great Grandparents - William (1762-1810) and Elizabeth Ballard Flynt (1765-1837)
3 - Great Grandparents - Richard (1720-1810) and Ann Fountain Flynt (1745-1796)
John's grandmother Amelia Vest Flynt was the daughter of John Pleasant Vest, Esq. Who was the mayor of Salem three times and a magistrate of long standing, marrying many blushing brides. He brought one of the first lots the Moravians sold in the newly formed town of Winston and became one of its first citizens. He was appointed the first postmaster of Winston on March 12, 1851. In the year 1866, he served as United States commissioner. Elected to the North Carolina General Assembly of 1868-70, he succeeded in carrying a bill through the legislature to have a railroad built from Salem to Greensboro, a distance of 28 miles. The railroad went through Kernersville, contributing greatly to its growth. In early autumn of 1873, John P. Vest was appointed the first mail agent by the U.S. Postmaster General in Washington, D.C. making his first trip with the mail by railroad to Greensboro, N.C., on November 1, 1873.
Having a daughter marrying John Randolph Flynt (1848-1897) was not the only connection John P. Vest had with the Flynt family, his sister Elizabeth Vest (1817-1910) married Lieutenant Colonel Procter B. Flynt (1799-1848). Procter B. was the son of William and Elizabeth Ballard Flynt and a brother to Allen.
The youngest of four sons of Frank and Ottie Flynt, John was born in Forsyth County on August 6, 1920. His brothers are C. Odell Flynt (1907-1979), Franklin Eugene Flynt (1916-1980), and Lee Flynt who presently lives in Kernersville. John's religious upbringing was in the Moravian Church, while attending the local schools and the Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He was a lifetime and an active member of the Kernersville Moravian Church. On July 2, 1945, he married Elaine Ogburn, and to their union were born two children; Susan and John Randolph, Jr. He joined Piedmont Federal Savings and Loan Association as a teller in 1946, became assistant secretary and treasurer in 1948, and made vice-president in 1953. He served in many civic organizations, including the Kernersville Lions Club of which he was a past president. John was a highly popular and well-known man about town, and was beloved by many in the community. His untimely death at the age of 47, on March 20, 1968, left Kernersville bereft of a man who epitomized the true American patriot. As his counterparts in earlier generations, his life demonstrated his love of country, and he showed it in a significant way.
Kernersville, for all the homogenizing modern influences that have swept through in recent years, is still a southern city with a tradition that is manifest not only in its history but in its people. John Randolph Flynt played an important role in keeping it so.