Baxter was born on 24 Aug 1884 in Izard County, Arkansas, the son of Robert Parry Watson and Martha Florence Dodd.
He died on 1 Apr 1971 in Greene County, Missouri.
His wife was Kathryn Tinkler, who he married on 3 NOV 1912 in Polk County, Missouri. Their five known children were Beverly (1914-2008), Catherine G (1917-2003), Martha F (1920-?), Helen Virginia (1924-2012) and Marjorie M (1931-?).
|Birth||24 AUG 1884||
|Death||1 APR 1971||
|Census||18 JUN 1900||
|Census||2 APR 1940||
Dr. R. P. Watson, of Newport. Jackson County, was born in Hempstead County, Ark.: in 1848, and is the only child of William and Nellie Caldwell) Watson, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Arkansas. William Watson emigrated from Virginia to Middle Tennessee at an early day, and in 1837 located in Hempstead County, Ark.: he was a physician and surgeon, and became the owner of a large plantation in Hempstead County.
In 1858 he moved to Jackson County, and the following year went to Craighead County, where he engaged in farming and the practice of his profession until his death, which occurred in 1864: he served in the Mexican War, and took quite an active part in politics as a Jeffersonian Democrat. The mother of our subject died in 1855. Dr. R. P. Watson was reared to the pursuit of farming; he attended the common schools of his native county, and after his father's death educated himself, attending the seminary at Jonesboro until 1870, when he entered the old University Medical College at Louisville, graduating from the latter institution in 1872. The same year he commenced the practice of medicine at Jonesboro, remaining, however, but a short time. He also acted as medical examiner for a New York life insurance company.
November 7, 1872. Dr. Watson married Martha Florence Dodd, of Jackson County, a daughter of Atlas and Margery (Stegall) Dodd, the former a native of Mississippi, and the latter of Memphis, Tenn. Mr. and Mrs. Dodd came to Jackson County at an early day, and settled in Village Township, where Dr. Watson now resides; they now live in Izard County Ark. After his marriage. Dr. Watson removed to Jackson County, and engaged in farming in connection with his practice. In 1881 he removed to La Crosse, Izard County, where be devoted the greater part of his attention to his profession; in 1884 the cyclone destroyed his residence, and the following year he moved to his present residence.
Dr. Watson owns 2,354 acres of land in one tract, of which 350 acres are under cultivation, and near by has another farm of 1000 acres, with 350 acres more improved. He has erected a good cotton-gin and grist and saw mill, and has been one of the leading stockmen of the county. He is a member of the White River Stock Breeders Association, and owns a great many fine full-blooded horses and cattle and hogs, in which he takes a great deal of pride. Politically he is in sympathy with the Democratic party, and has twice been a delegate to the State Convention. He is a member of Philadelphia Lodge No. 127, A. F. & A. M., of Izard County, and also belongs to the I. O. O. F. at Newport.
Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs, Watson. viz.: Margery Ella, Belle Willie Dodd, who died in 1881, aged eighteen months: Gracie, Baxter B. and Robert S. Mrs. Watson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and also of the Eastern Star Chapter, of Newberg. The Doctor is one [p.911] of the live and enterprising men of Jackson County, where he is well known for his public spirit and active interest in every public enterprise.