Thomas was born on 7 JUL 1792 in Stokes County, North Carolina, the son of Thomas 4 Flynt and Sally Martin.
He died on 4 MAR 1858 in Boone County Missouri.
His wife was Susanna Chiles Fulkerson, who he married on 6 NOV 1823 in Patrick County, Virginia. Their three known children were Richard Marion (1837-1926), Ann L (1841-?) and Martin Columbus (1844-1914).
| || |
| || |
|Birth||7 JUL 1792||
|Death||4 MAR 1858||
|Census||14 SEP 1850||
|See Note 3|
|Will||17 JUL 1817||
Will - Flynt, Thomas 1817
||See Note 4|
Mt Zion Church and Cemetery, Hallsville, Boone County, Missouri
This Web site has been started by the Mt. Zion Cemetery Association for the purpose of history and the help of those seeking genealogical information. The board members of the Association are Floyd Durk, President,(573-696-3619), Dorothy McKenzie, Vice President, Vickie Pemberton, Treasurer, Bonnie Durk, Secretary, Bonnie Martin, and Merlin Schnell. The Boards hope is that more will come to see the beauty and history of Mt. Zion Church and Cemetery which is located at 11700 E Mt. Zion Road, Hallsville, Boone County, Missouri.
The story of Mt Zion Church begins about 3 miles southwest of the present church location. The earliest settlers to Boone County gathered to worship at a camp meeting grounds that would become Mt. Moriah. (Switzler p 790). The founding denomination of Mt Moriah was Cumberland Presbyterian. They shared their meeting place with the Methodist until the Methodist left in 1843 to form their own church, Mt. Zion.
In 1843 the Methodist left Mount Moriah to build their church on land donated by Thomas and Suzan (Fulkerson) Flynt, three miles northeast. The site they selected is reported to be the highest point in Boone County, 940 feet. There are no details of the appearance or the dimensions of the original building but the carpenter was said to have been Wilson Grady. Oak, hickory, ash and pine trees covered the area and still do. Many cedars were used as grave markers and there was a very tall pine, which was a prominent landmark for many years. A piece of the stump of that pine is located in the church vestibule. It was later described as “the most pleasant place in the whole county”. Thomas Flynt dictated the name for the church to be Mt. Zion. The lumber for the first building was cut by the first sawmill ever to saw lumber in the area. Some of the original Members were: John Reed, Sr., Joseph Points, Wilson Grady, Thomas Flynt, Edith Younger, R.A. Younger, and A.J. Younger.
Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church congregation shared their building with the Baptist until Grandview Baptist Church was built near Murry on the edge of the Great Prairie, otherwise known as Two Mile Prairie, in 1874.
The Civil War battle at Mt Zion occurred in the vicinity of Mt Zion Church on December 28, 1861. It began early in the morning while Confederate officers were having breakfast with the William P Robinson family, who lived near the church.
Confederate soldiers numbered with 350 (by their account, mostly recent recruits, inexperienced and not all armed) or 900 (by Union estimate) under command of Col. Caleb Dorsey; A combined force of 470 Union cavalry and infantry commanded by Gen. Benjamin M. Prentiss.
Sever dead soldiers left behind at Mt. Zion had to be buried immediately though there was identification for only one. It was somehow known, perhaps because he lived long enough to tell them, that one was named Brandenburg. Mrs Arthusa Turner, in feelings of grief for the nameless boys, some of whom, for all she knew, might have been from her native area, brought her finest linen tablecloth to the cemetery and spread it over the bodies in their common grave. The site is now marked with a marker.
September 22, 1863 drama came and the church was not spared. Soldiers of Iowa’s Third Cavalry, commanded by Lt. Hartman, were ordered to burn it, saying “because if is no longer a church, but a nest for bushwackers”. The story goes that even as the flames began, a young soldier walked into the church and came out with the alter Bible, which he reverently placed on a large stump at a safe distance from the building.
In 1867 the church was rebuild but was torn down due to disrepair and rebuilt in 1903. That building still stand today. It was a 36’ x 60’ building with an arched ceiling covered with oak with a dark stain. It was called “ceiling” at that time and is now coveted where found in older homes. The church as arched windows, each with frosted panes below and above, edged with stained glass in vari-colored rectangles. Simple white globes suspended from the ceiling provide soft light reminiscent of the original gas lamps.
The five acre Cemetery at Mt. Zion contains more than 600 graves, many unmarked, but all listed in cemetery records and most findable on the Cemetery Association’s plats. The Cemetery Association was formed in 1907. That association continues to care for and maintain the Cemetery today through donations. Extensive work has been done this year by the Association to record history from all the stones in the Cemetery such as birth and death dates and as many relationships as possible. We hope this will be helpful for those looking for relatives gravesites.
There is a mystery grave in the Cemetery. During the post-war years, while outlaws ran amuck, a new grave was discovered in the morning at Mt. Zion. Nobody made arrangements to have a grave opened or to bring a body there after a service elsewhere. Then the report came of a party of heavily armed men seen in the churchyard very late, digging by lantern light. In 1927, the story says, a Flynt family member doing a cemetery census wrote to ask Frank James if he knew anything about it. The celebrated outlaw replied that the unfortunate was named Richard Kenny or Kearney and had fought under George Todd at the Centralia Massacre. James’ letter was in the belongings of Mabel Cavins, a descendant of the person who received it, was sold at auction. Its location is unknown.
This history was compiles using written documents by Joan Gilbert, Bobby Bedsworth, William F Switzler, History of Boone County, The Hallsville Top, Lillian Ridgway and Genealigican information written by the Flynt Family members.
History of Boone County, Missouri: Written and Compiled from the Most.. Google Books..
HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY 1121
RICHARD M FIYNT
Richard M Flynt though forty five years of age is a native of Boone county and is now living at the old home where he was born and raised. He is the son of Thomas and Susan C Flynt the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Virginia They first emigrated to Callaway county Missouri in 1833 but remained there only one year removing in 1834 to Boone county settling on the farm where the subject of this sketch now lives.
Thomas Flynt was born in Stokes county North Carolina iu 1794 His father was also named Thomas Richard M bears the name of an uncle who served on the staff of Gen Jackson during the war of 1812 Both of his grandfathers served in the American army during the revolutionary war The subject of this sketch was born June 2d 1837 He was one of a family of seven children two of whom died in childhood The oldest member of the family now living is the widow of John W Love who died in the Federal army during the late civil war The other sister is the wife of John D French The oldest of the brothers James W went to California in 1850 and has never returned He is a bachelor He is now living in White Pine county Nevada Martin C Flynt the youngest brother is a native of Audrain county He was a soldier in Cockrell's brigade during the late war and was twice wounded at the battle of Franklin Tennessee.
Richard M Flynt was with Price in his Missouri campaigns at the beginning of the war He was married on the 7th day of June 1860 to Miss Mary F daughter of Mordecai and Arethusa Tinner of Boone county They have seven children living and one dead Their names are Wilmuth Ann Thomas M Joseph F Augusta Jane William R Warren A Lena Mabel and an infant yet unnamed Thomas M died in infancy Their children are all living at home Mr and Mrs Flynt are members of the Baptist church at Grand View Mr Flynt is also a member of the Masonic order His home is situated sixteen miles northeast of Columbia and four miles southeast of Hallsville which is his post office Thomas Flynt the father of the subject of this sketch died in February 1858 Mrs Flynt died in the winter of 1866 They are both buried at Mt Zion church which was built on land donated by Mr Flynt and the church was named by him He was a member of the Methodist Church South Mrs Flynt was a member of the Regular Baptist church.
Thomas Flynt age 57 farmer, born NC
Susaan C ", age 49, f, born VA
Richard M ", age 15 male, born MO
Ann L ", age 9, female born MO
Martin C ", age 6 male, born MO
Sally Martin in 1772, M1 Richard4 issue 4 children.
Then Feb 1782, M2 his brother Thomas 4 and issue 7 children
Named in Thomas Flynt will in 1817 which also names children from both marriages.