Return to Genealogy Front Page
This old cemetery had thirteen burials between 1839 and 1882, mostly of Woods and Dickson families who were early settlers and prominent families in Benton County. The purpose of this page is to provide a reliable reference to the families of those thirteen, limited to just a couple of generations of both ancestors and descendents by gathering together names and dates from Woods family bible, Dickson and Woods families genealogy papers, obituaries, land grants, and wills.
Apparently the only list of gravestones was by Bentonville Mayor and Benton County Historian Alvin A Seamster(1891-1974), sometime before 1955. But even then, the cemetery was over grown with brush and several gravestones already damaged. That account was first published in Washington County Flashback, vol V, no 6, December 1955, again in the Benton County Pioneer Vol 6, no.4, page 25 May 1961, and a third time in Cemeteries of Benton County, Arkansas Vol V, Winter 1976, page 30. The cemetery was legally abandoned about 1958-9 when Wayne Carlson built two houses east of the burial ground. The neighbor across the highway, Mac McKee removed the remaining gravestones, most likely as Carlson was starting earthwork for his house and it's original unpaved driveway. The stones were certainly removed well before McKee's airplane crash in 1964. McKee, his widow, and one of his sons, stored the gravestones until they were moved to the Peel Mansion Museum about 1990.
My house, 1603 SW 2nd Street, was built shortly after parcel was deeded to Rick and Fredra Carlson on November 21, 1974. Memories of those who had seen the cemetery before gravestones were moved, indicate this house was placed slightly north of most, if not all, of the burials. Note that the graves have not been disturbed, and remain in place as of 2017 though umarked.
This is private property and not open to unscheduled visitors. Location is NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 Section 36 T20N R31W about 1/2 acre.
N36° 22.254’ W094° 13.762’
Close Family and Genelogy of the 13 known burials in Old Dickson Cemetery, Bentonville Ark.
Most of these families and others prominent in Benton County then and now served in the American Revolutionary War. Records of the Burke County North Carolina Regiment of Militia commanded by McDowell, Sharp, and Robert Holmes include: John Holmes, Samuel Moore, Robert Patton, Samuel Woods, John Dysart, James Dysart, William Dysart. The adjacent Lincoln County,North Carolina Regiment include Joseph Dickson, William Moore, and Daniel McKisick. These families intermarried, probably before service in the war, migrated west together, lived close together with children and grandchildren intermarrying for a least a century.
It is a little curious that the property holding these burials was apparently never owned by either Dickson or Woods families. Samuel Woods owned quite a bit of land adjoining on west side, While Robert Dickson owned land about 1/2 mile east and north. Premeption Cert 3624 dated 10 March 1843 was to Edward Cunningham and his heir's sold to Levi W Paul in 1869.