John George


Personal and Family Information

John was born on 26 Oct 1747 in Stafford County, Virginia, the son of unknown parents.

He died in Oct 1823 in St Helena Parish, Louisiana.

His wife was Sarah Frances Freeman. They were married, but the date and place have not been found. They had no known children.


Birth26 OCT 1747
Place: Stafford County, Virginia
Address: findagrave 187587310 which quotes parish register
DeathOCT 1823
Place: St Helena Parish, Louisiana
Address: findagrave 187587310 which quotes parish register
Other Event12 NOV 1784
Place: Wilkes County, Georgia
Type: Deed
Address: 1,000 Acres along the Oconee River warrant dated 10 Nov 1782, certified 12 Nov 1784
Deed-George, John 1784




Note 1

According to the Parish Register, John George was born on 26 October 1747 in Overwharton, Stafford, VA, to William George (1722-1779) and Mary Whitson (1724-1793). A later transcription of the register names the birthdate March 1, 1747. John George owned land by Headright in Wilkes County, Georgia (as recorded in the Georgia Colonial and Headright Plat Index, 1735-1866 (Year 1784, Vol. B, Page 157, Record # 21507). He owned 1,000 acres along the Oconee River.

About 1775 in Wilkes County, Georgia, he married Sarah Frances Freeman (1756-1830). The couple had at least nine children, five sons and four daughters: Mary (Polly), Nancy, Freeman, John, William, Frances, Joseph J., Nicholas, and Wilmouth (a daughter), all born in Georgia. Mary married James Johnson. Nancy married David Witt. Freeman married a woman named Elenora (b. in LA about 1794 and died in Wharton TX). John Jr. married Sarah (Sally) Kemp. William married Elizabeth Grimes. Frances married Uriah Smith. Nicholas married Martha (Patsy) Kemp, Sarah's sister. Wilmuth married Caleb Kemp, brother of Sarah and Martha.

About 1800, the family migrated to Louisiana to the area later known, for this family, as Georgeville. They settled on lands granted by Spain, then in control of "West Flordia," along the east side of the Tickfaw River.

The George Cemetery is described in St. Helena Parish Cemeteries, 1914-1987

Published by the St. Helena Historical Association, Inc. The ancient live oak trees in the cemetery were planted by John George Sr.

findagrave 187587310