John was born on 21 AUG 1762 in Prince Edward Cty, Va, the son of Archelas Elmore and Susannnah Morris.
He died on 24 APR 1834 in Autauga County, Ala.
He had two marriages/partners. His first wife was Mary Ann Sarah Saxon, who he married on 1 MAR 1788 in probably Autauga Coutny Alabama. Their five known children were Benjamin F (1789-?), Narcissa (1792-?), Sophia Saxon (c1791-?), Charlotte Perry (1796-1832) and Franklin Harper (1799-?).
His second wife was Mary Martin, who he married on 14 MAR 1805 in Probably Autauga County, Alabama. They had no known children.
| || |
| || |
|Birth||21 AUG 1762||
|Death||24 APR 1834||
John Archer Elmore
Elmore county was named in honor of Gen. Elmore. He was deservedly popular for his "candor, good sense and sociability." He was buried in the old family burying ground at the old homestead, "Huntington," in Elmore county. The following inscription is upon his tombstone: In Memory of Gen. John Archer Elmore, who was born in Prince Edward County, Va., August the 21st, 1762, and died in Autauga County, Ala., April 24th, 1834, aged 71 yrs. 8 mos. & 3 days.
He was a soldier of the Revolution in the Virginia Line and afterwards a member of the Legislature of So. Ca., and a General in the militia. He was a member of the Legislature of Alabama and filled various other offices of Honor and Trust in both States. He was an affectionate husband, a kind and indulgent father, a humane master, A devoted friend, and a patriotic citizen. "General John Archer Elmore was born in Prince Edward county, Virginia, Aug, 21, 1762, and died in Autauga county, Alabama, April 24, 1834. He entered the Revolutionary service, a mere lad, in Greene's command in the Virginia line; was with him in his tour through the Carolinas, and with him at the surrender at Yorktown. This is shown by the archives in Washington; O'Neal's Bench and Bar of South Carolina, vol. ii, pp. 85, 88, and Brewer's Alabama, p. 109.
After the Revolution he settled in Laurens district, South Carolina, and resided there many years, during which time he was often a member of the legislature. He moved to Autauga county, Alabama, in 1819 and served one term in the house of representatives from this county. His first wife was Miss Saxon, by whom he had two sons: Hon. Franklin H. Elmore, of South Carolina, who succeeded Mr. Calhoun in the United States senate, and Benjamin F. Elmore, treasurer of South Carolina.
His second wife, Miss Ann Martin, was a member of the famous Martin family of South Carolina, and descended also from the Marshall family of Virginia, and from Lieutenant Nathaniel Terry, of Virginia. By this second marriage there were five sons and several daughters. One of the daughters married Gov. Benj. Fitzpatrick, another married Hon. Dixon H. Lewis of Lowndes; another married Dr. J. T. Hearne, of Lowndes, and she is still (1904) living in Montgomery. The sons were Hon. John A. Elmore, a distinguished lawyer in Montgomery; William A. Elmore, a lawyer in New Orleans since 1835, superintendent of the mint until the outbreak of the war, and who died in Philadelphia in 1891; Capt. Rush Elmore, who commanded a company in the Mexican war and was territorial judge of Kansas; Henry Elmore, who was probate judge of Macon county prior to the war, and who afterwards moved to Texas; Albert Elmore, of Montgomery, secretary of State in 1865 and collector of customs in Mobile under President Johnson."--Mrs. P. H. Mell in Transactions, of the Alabama Historical Society, Vol. iv, pp. 541-2.
Named for: General John Archer Elmore, a veteran of the American Revolution and early settler of Alabama.
Established: by the Alabama legislature on Feb. 15, 1866.
Parent Counties: Autauga, Coosa, Montgomery and Tallapoosa Counties.
Land Area: 622 Square Miles
County Seat: Wetumpka
Elmore County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1866 Feb. 15, from parts of Autauga, Coosa, Montgomery, and Tallapoosa Counties. It was named for General John Archer Elmore, a veteran of the American Revolution and early settler of Alabama. Elmore County lies in the east-central part of the state. It is drained by the Coosa and the Tallapoosa Rivers, which merge to form the Alabama River a few miles south of Wetumpka. It currently encompasses 622 square miles.
The French established Fort Toulouse at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa in 1717, upon which site Gen. Andrew Jackson erected Fort Jackson in 1814, following the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. Wetumpka is the county seat. Other towns and communities include Eclectic, Tallassee, and Millbrook.
Source: Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
|Source:||The Heritage of Elmore County,Alabama|
|Authors:||researched and copied by Sue Brasel Nov 2008|
|Publisher:||Prattsville Public Library Prattsville, Al|