Burials in Jefferson Family Cemetery
Corner of Praire Lane and North East Blueberry Lane, Bentonville, Benton County, Arkansas
Return to Genealogy Front Page
This small, private, family cemetery with unmarked burials before 1850, eleven tablet monuments and two small, flat monuments, oldest 1865, newest 1983. Now in 2021 is managed and maintained by Jefferson Family Cemetery Association, a 501(c)(3) asssociated with Benton County Cemtery Preservation Group.
Marked burials include 4 children of George H Jefferson Sr and his wife Elizabeth, specifically; George H Jr, Samuel Allen, Frances Emiline Wilson, and Margaret Wilson
As of September 2021, the old chain link fence that enclosed a roughly 70 to 80 foot square around the monuments has been removed and a much better looking steel panels between masonry posts is being installed. There has been discussion but no decision about fencing the bounary of the approximate one acre of dedicated cemetery.
The adjoining property on south and east is being developed into a dog boarding and day care business. Five old chicken houses have been replaced by paved access, parking, swimming pool, and office / administration? building. The remaining two chicken houses on east side have been repaired and refitted as kennels and indoor play areas. All has been landscaped with sod and trees.
My plan is to update several of the photos on this page when the steel fence around the monuments is completed and when significant changes occur. Also, at the bottom of this page is/will be a link to a zip bundle of my collection of photos and surverys and related documents.
- George H Jefferson Sr 1 Oct 1802-1846
George H Sr is son of Peter and Elizabeth Jefferson and related to President Jefferson as a first cousin, twice removed. Relationship Chart
no record of burial, but dowsing indicates north side of son George H Jr
maybe beside these Headstones
- Elizabeth P Moore 1810-1883, wife of George H Sr, 2nd marriage Dysart Woods
no record of burial, but dowsing indicates south side of daughter in law, Martha Emaline Jefferson, maybe beside these Headstones
- George Harrison Jefferson, Jr 12 Jun 1834 – 11 Apr 1891 = Son of George H Sr Headstone
- Martha Emaline Cliburn Jefferson 11 Sep 1845 – 27 Dec 1906 = wife of George H Jr Headstone
- No Markers, maybe field stones. likely but unconfirmed obits place the 3 Mckinney children here
- Tom Field Jefferson McKinney 12 Nov 1876 – 23 Sep 1925 = daughter of George H Jr. Death Certificates states burial in Jefferson Cemetery.
- Infant McKinney Birth after 1900 census and death before 1910 census. = child of Tom Field, grandchild of George H Jr
- Emaline McKinney 1908 – before 1920 census = daughter of Tom Field, granddaughter of George H Jr
- Faye E. McKinney Patty 24 Aug 1912 – 6 Nov 1930 of Typhoid = daughter of Tom Field, granddaughter of George H Jr
No Patty Infant--Betty F Patty born April 1930 – (name and age shown census 22 April 1930, living with grandparents 1940 census)
- Samuel Allen Jefferson 4 Jan 1838 – 11 Mar 1908, Son of George H Sr Shared Headstone
- Joann Neal Jefferson 24 Oct 1839 – 26 Nov 1904, wife of Samuel Allen Shared Headstone
- Sons of Samuel Allen and Joann Neal Jefferson have a Shared Stone, West Side Inscription: Though thou art gone, fond memory clings to thee
- South Side: George H. son of SA & JA Jefferson Born 8 Feb 1875 Died 13 Aug 1875, age 6 Mos 16 Ds Shared Stone, South and West Sides
- North Side: Pierce son of SA & JA Jefferson Born 1 Sep 1878 Died 3 May 1885, age 6Y, 8M, 2D Shared Stone, North and West Sides
- Minnie Jefferson Avery 13 Nov 1880 – 22 Oct 1922, daughter of Samuel Allen Jefferson Flat Headstone
- Joe Allen Avery Jones 1 Feb 1908 – 28 Nov 1983, daughter of daughter of Minnie V and V.M Grissom, adopted daughter of C Walter Avery, granddaughter of Samuel Allen Flat Headstone
- Georgette Jefferson Huffman 11 Jan 1863 – 25 Dec 1928, daughter of Samuel Allen Jefferson Headstone
- Christopher C Huffman 20 Sep 1855 – 30 Nov 1912, husband of Georgette, son in law Samuel Allen Headstone
- Shared monument inscription on west side: Infant sons of CC & GE Huffman, Dearest loved ones, we must lay the in the peaceful graves embrace.
But thy memory will be cherished till we see thy heavenly face. The top of this small monument has been rotated 90° since the photo of 21 Feb 2019
- Shared monument North Side: Infant Son Born & Died 21 Apr 1882 Shared Headstone N&W
- Shared monument South Side: Josephus A Huffman Born 9 Jan 1891 Died 11 Jun 1892 Shared Headstone S&W
- Infant Daughter of K.B. & Della Huffman. Born & Died 7 Mar 1905, granddaughter of CC and Georgette E Small Headstone
- Josephus A Huffman, Sr 4 Apr 1830 – 25 Aug 1911, father of Christoper C Huffman Headstones
- Selina J Huffman 6 Dec 1831 – 24 Jun 1906, mother of Christoper C Huffman Headstones
- This monument is the oldest in Jefferson Cemetery, shared by the sisters who married Dr William Wilson, Emiline in 1846, and then when she died, sister Margaret married him in 1866. It seems possible that the monument was bought by Margaret, had both names carved, but of course could only include her date of birth. West side with base of sisters monument
- Frances Emiline Jefferson Wilson 13 May 1826 – 16 Mar 1865, Daughter of George H Sr South Side of shared monument
- Margaret Jefferson Wilson 14 May 1843(1848 on stone is error)– before1873, Daughter of George H Sr North side of shared monument
- No Markers, maybe field stones- see Obits
- Dysart Woods “Dee” Jefferson 1869 – 29 Sept 1893, son of John Joseph Jefferson, grandson George H SR
- Georgia “Georgie” Jefferson 1877 – 24 Sep 1895, daughter of John Joseph Jefferson, granddaughter George H SR
- Will Wendell Jefferson 27 Dec 1911 – 3 May 1913, son of James Harvey Jefferson, grandson George H JR
- Slaves or Servants noted in family bible as buried Jefferson Cemetery, maybe field stones
- Allen 20 Jun 1920 – unknown
- Ann 5 Mar 1841 – unknown
- Henri 9 Nov 1844 – unknown
- James 14 Jun 1843 – unknown
- Jeroam 1828 – unknown
Survey of Jefferson Cemetery in 2017. Pins were reset with t-posts markers at NE and SE corners of the 0.97 acre cemetery 30 Aug 2021. Survey Detail of dedicated Cemetery with photos of corner pins.
Land Owners in area of Jefferson Cemetery from a 1903 Atlas, and a separate key to the Jefferson, Woods and Dickson from the census of 1900
Overhead photos of Jefferson Cemetery
Why are Yucca Plants found in Cemeteries? what the Yucca plants scattered around Jefferson Cemetery telling us?